Thursday 1 July 2010

Resurrection is actually quite a big deal

It's a stumbling block for many when it comes to religion. Whilst the premise of Christianity is appealing to many, they struggle to chew on - let alone swallow - the concept of resurrection. Why then, is the same phenomenon so acceptable in the world of technology?

Last weekend, my Internet access at home died. I tried to save it with a new router and an hour-long chat to a helpful man at BT Broadband. The diagnosis was terminal. The only treatment possible - an engineer would have to visit.

This was a big deal in our house. No Skype to Granny and Grandad. No Facebooking. No catch-up TV. Nothing.

Less than a week later, however, I noticed some other devices in my house were quite happily enjoying themselves on the Internet. iPhones and TVs were flitting about the Web to their heart's content. Unbeliever that I was, I sceptically fired up my laptop once more - expecting the same error message as before. But no - it lived! It died and rose again! Hallelujah!

A week on, and I've moved on from this miracle. I can't explain it - I probably never will. It happened once - it'll probably happen again. And somehow in the world of technology - this phenomenon is perfectly acceptable. We get over errors and crashes and things fixing themselves without so much as a reboot. The miracle of resurrection in the world of bits and bytes is something we're cool with. Why then do we give God such a hard time?

1 comment: